RECIPE FIVE: PEPPERMINT BROWNIES
Attributed to Greg Case
MAKES 30 BROWNIES
- 8 oz. unsalted butter, plus extra for buttering pan
- 8 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tsp. TeaVino Lemon Mint tea (ground)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- powdered sugar to cover
- Center rack in oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Butter and flour the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13-in pan.
- Put approximately 2 inches of water in a small pot and heat to a gentle simmer. In a heatproof bowl set over the water, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate, making sure water does not touch bowl. Stir occasionally until completely melted, 6 to 7 minutes. Turn off heat, but leave bowl over the water.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, peppermint extract, salt, ground tea leaves, and sugar until just melted. Whisk in the chocolate mixture. Slowly add the flour, gently folding in. Spread the batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, about 35 - 40 minutes.
- When cool, cut brownies into squares. Sift powdered sugar on top of brownies. Serve with ice cream or berries.